Neuschwanstein Castle

Non-EU Citizen? No Problem!

A Comprehensive Guide to the Visa Process and getting your Residence Permit in Nuremberg, Germany.

DISCLAIMER: This article was put together using a combination of information available from the immigration authority’s website as well as our own Non-EU English Posters’ practical experiences from undergoing the process itself.
Information is subject to change. For the most accurate and up to date information, please contact or visit the website of the Nuremberg immigration authority (Ausländerbehörde). See sources at the end of this article.

For those of you fellow Non-EU citizens who have recently arrived in Nuremberg or those who are planning to move soon – Congratulations! Moving to Germany, especially as a Non-EU citizen, is an incredibly brave and bold move and you should be proud of taking this step.

Whether you’ve already arrived or will be arriving in Nuremberg for a new job, study program or for personal reasons – having to acclimatize to a new language, culture, and way of life is daunting enough without the added pressure of having to go through the bureaucratic residence permit application process – especially without a solid command of the German language.

This is an easy-to-follow guide to applying for or renewing a residence permit after arriving in Germany – put together by those of us who have gone through it many, many times before.

Note: This article applies to people registered as living in Nuremberg. The exact process may differ for those living in Erlangen, other cities in the region, and regions in and outside of Bavaria.

This article is organized as follows:

Where do I even begin? – The Overall Process

The new MeinNürnberg – speeding up your residence permit application since 2020

The Various Types of Residence Permits – Which one is for me?

Where do I even begin? – The Overall Process

Just trying to figure out where to start can be overwhelming. The next sections will describe the application process and the different types of permits available – But first, here is what your overall application process may look like, regardless of which permit you choose:

  • Step 1: Submit your Initial Application (See steps in the next section!)
  • Step 2: Receive a letter requesting documents – you are then given roughly a month to submit them.
  • Step 3: Submit the requested documents
  • Step 4: Receive a letter with the first in-person appointment
  • Step 5: Go to the first in-person appointment – take processing fees, ID, and biometric photo. Sign any documents required, provide fingerprints. Receive the second appointment to pick up your Residence Permit (The second appointment is about five weeks after the first appointment). If necessary: Receive your Fiktionsbescheinigung (See explanation below).
  • Step 6: Go to the second in-person appointment – receive your Residence Permit!

In-person appointments take place at Hirschelgasse 32, 90403 Nuremberg. This is within walking distance from the U-Bahn Rathenauplatz, line U2 and U3. Be prepared to arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment and bring cash or an EC (debit) card for payment! Credit cards are not accepted.

Never submit original documents – always submit copies! You will not get the originals back.

Without the MeinNürnberg account, the whole residence permit process from start to finish can take as long as five months. Hence we strongly recommend applying for your residence permit online using the MeinNürnberg portal.

If your previous residence permit or entry visa expires before you receive your new one, you will be issued a Fiktionsbescheinigung – a temporary document allowing you to remain in the country until your residence card is issued. Careful – if this is your first residence permit application, you may not be allowed to leave the country until you receive your actual Residence Permit Card. If you’re unsure, please ask the immigration worker present upon receiving your Fiktionsbescheinigung.

The new MeinNürnberg – speeding up your residence permit application since 2020

If you’ve arrived in Nuremberg or need to renew your residence permit in 2020, consider yourself lucky – Despite COVID-19 (perhaps even because of it), there is a silver lining!

Since 2020, the city of Nuremberg has created a new online portal for submitting your visa/residence permit applications, among other things.

The system has vastly accelerated the speed with which you would typically communicate with the Ausländerbehörde. While you can still apply for your residence permit by mail or submit an online application without having an account, we strongly recommend creating a MeinNürnberg account. Without an account, there is no way to know about the progress of your application. Getting in touch with workers in the immigration office can be difficult and time-consuming – it can take anywhere from 2 to 5 weeks, without any communication in between. For newcomers, this uncertainty can be incredibly unnerving – especially for those with a temporary three month visa.

In case the MeinNürnberg registration seems a bit confusing, we have created simple step-by-step instructions you can follow below:


STEP 1: Initial Registration

  1. To register, simply go to to access the login and registration page.
  2. On the right side, click Zugang zu MeinNürnbergerstellen.
  3. Start by entering your email address and accepting the Nutzungsbedingungen (Terms and Conditions).
  4. Next, an email will be sent to the email address you provided. Check your email and click on the activation link. Be sure to check your spam and junk folders if it hasn’t arrived in your inbox.
  5. After clicking the activation link, you’ll be brought to “Registrierung eines Zugangs (Schritt 2 von 2).
  6. Click “Identifizieren”.
  7. If you have an online-activated ID, select “Neuer Personalausweis”; otherwise select the (more common) “Manuelle Eingabe”.
  8. Put in your personal information and click “Weiter”.
  9. Check that the information is correct and click “Weiter”.
  10. Pick a password (Needs to be between 8 and 32 characters, requires minimum one capital letter, one number and a special character), then click “Weiter”.
  11. Enter a valid phone number in order to receive a text message with a confirmation code. Then click “Weiter”.
  12. Check your phone, and enter the code from the text message into the TAN field. Then click “Weiter”.
  13. You will be brought back to the home page.

STEP 2: Log in and download the Bestätigungsdokument

  1. Log in under “Anmeldung” to your new MeinNürnberg account with your email and password at
  2. Enter the TAN that is sent to your phone.
  3. On the right side under Zugangsdaten, click on “Bestätigungsdokument herunterladen”. You will need this later.

STEP 3: Confirm your Identity. Due to COVID-19, it is possible to confirm your identity online by uploading your ID (rather than in person). Note that it may take a few days for your identity to be confirmed.

  1. Click here:
  2. You will be brought to the page stating “Nachweise online übermitteln”
  3. Enter your name and email address, then upload your ID as well as the “Bestätigungsdokument” or “Laufzettel” that you had to download before. Then click “Weiter.”
  4. Your registration process is complete!

It will take a few days for MeinNürnberg to confirm your identity. You will receive an email stating when it has been confirmed, and then you can use your account freely!

Applying for your Permit Online

Once your identity has been verified, you can start with your application! Follow these steps:

  1. Log in under “Anmeldung” to your new MeinNürnberg account with your email and password at
  2. Enter the TAN that is sent to your phone and click “TAN überprüfen und anmelden”.
  3. To apply for a new permit, click on “Meine Vorgänge”.
  4. Click “Neues Vorhaben”.
  5. Fill in your information and select the permit you wish to apply for. Follow the given steps. This part is relatively straightforward.
  6. To view your existing permit application, click on Meine Vorgänge > Laufende Vorgänge.

And that’s it! You can apply and view your residence permit applications online from now on! All correspondence from the Ausländerbehörde will now appear on your online account, and you will receive an email when there have been changes made. Similarly, all documents must be submitted online via your account.

The Various Types of Residence Permits – Which one is for me?

The Student Visa/Residence Permit

If you’ve been accepted into a study program in Germany, you will need to apply for a student residence permit upon arrival in Germany.

Here are the documents you will likely need – this may vary between individuals and may differ if it’s the first permit application or application for renewal:

  • Passport
  • Current Biometric photo
  • Proof of enrollment at the university (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung)
  • Proof of Health Insurance
  • Processing fees up to approx. 130 euros
  • Proof of German language skills (may be necessary for the first application)
  • Proof of sufficient funds to live in Germany (see information

Having sufficient funds to live in Germany is the most important and trickiest part when getting your student residence permit – especially if it’s your first time applying. Although there are a few ways to prove you have enough money to live in Germany, the easiest and most popular way is by setting up a Sperrkonto (Blocked Account).

A Sperrkonto is a bank account that restricts users from withdrawing more than a certain amount of money specified by the immigration authority.

As of 2020, the minimum amount required by the immigration authority is 853 euros per month.

To get a residence permit for 1 year, you will need to “block” a minimum of 10,236 euros. That means: have that amount of money sitting in your bank account (doing nothing, sadly), without being able to completely access the funds. The most you can withdraw every month is 853 euros. The only way you can withdraw more money is if you deposit more into your account.

You can also block less than 10,236 per year – however, your residence permit will last only as long as the funds you have, and you’ll end up having to renew it sooner. This isn’t recommended, as every time you renew your permit you have to pay up to 130 euros in processing fees.

Careful, though – you can’t open a Blocked Account at any ordinary bank. You need to be sure that the bank you choose even offers a Sperrkonto to begin with!

Either Deutsche Bank or the Sparkasse are the usual options available to international students:

  • Sparkasse offers a Sperrkonto for free – but not every branch offers them! Therefore, inquire at your local Sparkasse if they offer blocked accounts before opening your account there!
  • Every Deutsche Bank branch offers blocked accounts – at a fee of 150
    euros per year!

Regardless of which bank you choose – carefully consider the pros and cons and inquire about the procedure involved.

Note: There are other ways to show you have the required funds besides having a Sperrkonto. For example, have someone in Germany sponsor and support you financially, show funds from a scholarship, or have a parent submit documents certifying their income and financial assets. That being said, having a blocked account is by far the easiest and quickest solution.

With a Student Residence Permit, you can:

  • Travel freely within, to, and out of Europe.
  • Work a (student) job in Germany for a maximum of 240 half days or 120 full days per year. This information is located on the Zusatzblatt (additional paper) that comes with your Residence Permit Card.

Note: If your study program lasts for several years, you’ll have to keep renewing your residence permit every year. If you have the funds and your bank allows you to block accounts beyond one year, it’s possible to get a permit which lasts longer than one year.

The Job Search Permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis nach dem Studium zum Zweck der Arbeitsplatzsuche)

Have you recently graduated from a German University? Congratulations! Didn’t find a job yet? – No worries! The Job Search Permit is intended for international students who have successfully finished their studies at a German university and gives them the chance to search for a job for
up to 18 months.

The application procedure is very similar to getting a Student Residence Permit. You will need:

  • Passport
  • Biometric photo
  • Proof of Health Insurance
  • University Degree
  • Sperrkonto (up to 18 months – can also be for less time)
  • Processing fee up to approx. 130 euros.

You can renew this permit for up to a maximum duration of 18 months. For example, if you only have enough funds for 8 months, you can get it for the first 8 months but are eligible to renew it for the remaining 10 months (provided you have the funds available at that point).

With this permit, you can take on full-time employment.

The Blue Card

The Blue Card (Blaue Karte) is a work permit which lasts up to 4 years. It enables Non-EU citizens with an academic degree and a job offer to work in Germany.

Requirements when applying for a Blue Card are as follows:

  • A completed university degree or equivalent. This can either be acquired in Germany or abroad – as long as it is recognized in Germany.
  • A binding job offer or employment contract.
  • A specific minimum annual salary. Since 2020 the minimum gross annual incomes are:
    • 55,200 euros for any occupation.
    • 43,056 euros for an occupation in the fields of mathematics, IT, natural sciences, engineering, or medicine (not including dentistry).

The Blue Card has many advantages. EU Blue Card holders can:

  • Bring their spouses to Germany even if they do not speak German.
  • Apply for permanent residence (Niederlassungserlaubnis) after 33 months if their German level is at least A1 or 21 months if their German level is at least B1.
  • Take up employment in another EU country after 18 months. Similarly, if you hold a blue card in another EU country (except for Denmark and Ireland), you can move to Germany for work – however, the EU Blue Card has to be applied for again at the immigration office here within a month of entering the country.

Things to take note of:

  • With the Blue Card, you have to notify the immigration authority if you want to change jobs within
    the first 2 years.
  • If you lose your job, you need to find a new one within 3 months in order to stay in Germany!

So, what documents do you need to provide?

  • Job contract
  • Academic degree or equivalent
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Your paycheck or sample paycheck (Probelohnabrechnung)
  • Copy of your lease
  • Proof of heating costs (Nachweis über Heizkosten)
  • A Wohnraumbestätigung:
    • A form your landlord has to sign confirming the size and cost of your living space.
  • An Arbeitsbescheinigung:
    • A form confirming information such as your job title and salary, which needs to be signed by your employer.
  • A Stellenbeschreibung der Bundesagentur für Arbeit
    • A form regarding your job position which needs to be signed by your employer.
  • Zustimmung der Arbeitsagentur (ZAV) zum Arbeitsmarktzugang (soweit vorliegend)
    • It is not necessary to submit this form, but if you already have it, it will speed up your application process. For shortage occupations (in IT, engineering, etc.), the Federal Employment Agency needs to provide its approval for recruitment. This is to ensure that foreign workers are given the same working conditions and benefits as German workers.

Is there a permit you have to apply for which we didn’t cover? Let us know!

Still confused about the process? Do you have some specific questions? We recommend:

1) Contacting the Immigration Authority

Due to COVID-19, in-person consultations are not possible without an appointment. You can try calling 0911 2310. This is the number for the Einwohneramt (Residents’ registration office), however, it is possible to be connected to the immigration authority. If the call center employee you are speaking to refuses to connect you, ask if someone from immigration can call you back at a later time – usually within 1 to 2 days. Note that good German language skills are strongly recommended.

2) Leave us a comment and we will get back to you!




  1. Hello,

    Can you please clarify what “Probelohnabrechnung” is? and where do I get it from?

    1. Hello Gaurav,

      As indicated in the article, a Probelohnabrechnung is just a sample payslip. If you’ve already started working for your employer, you can just bring them your paycheck. If you haven’t started working yet you can request a sample paycheck from your employer.

  2. Hello,
    Am trying to extend my aupair visa, cause when coming from your country its only a few months then you have to extend to a full year when you get here. I followed everything as directed but cannot find a place to upload my documents as an aupair. Only finding for school, employment and such.

    Kindly assist.

    1. Hi Georgina,

      I am unfortunately unfamiliar with the application process for an Au-pair. However, after a quick google search I could find that work as an Au-pair is classified under “Sonstige Beschäftigungen” which means “Other Occupations”, so I think you can safely upload the documents under employment.

      If you’re still not sure, I’ve found this website of an organization located in Nuremberg that supports Au-pairs:

  3. Hey there! I need to renew my residence permit, but I don’t see a renew option in the Mein Nuernberg portal. Do I just click residence permit for the online form to renew? Thanks!!

    1. Hello Genevieve,
      Yes that is correct! Go about it the same way as applying for a new residence permit.

  4. Hello there. My wife has applied for a visa for family reunion in our home country but the Auslanderbehorde here in Nurnberg keep telling me to apply via mein konto nurnberg as well. As we are citizens of third-world country (not EU citizens) and I do not possess a Blu Karte I cannot find the correct form. Please help me!!

    1. Hi Dea,

      You can apply for a normal “Aufenthaltstitel” here either as a guest or with your account if you have one:
      Scroll down and select “Aufenthaltstitel online beantragen” and you will be taken to the form.

      You have to first fill out your personal information. Once you click through, if you are applying for your wife, select that you are applying on behalf of someone else. Then you’ll have to fill out her information as well. When you get to the step “Weshalb wird der Aufenthaltstitel beantragt?” you select “Familiennachzug”. The type of visa I believe should be Aufenthaltserlaubnis.

      This of course depends on what exactly you were told by the immigration authorities – the information I’m giving you is based on the details you have provided. Best of luck!

      1. Thank you very much for your response. I am still facing a problem because I want to apply from my account. Then when I have to select the option of applying “für eine andere Person”, it shows me three other options: ich bin*
        gesetzlicher Vertreter( als Elternteil)
        gesetzlicher Vertreter (als Vormund)
        gesetzlicher Vertreter (als Betreuer)
        bevollmächtigten Person. Which one is about my case. Also my wife hasn’t been to Germany and there is an option Datum der letzten Einreise and it must be filled in. What should I do? Please help me. Thank you in advance!

        1. Hi, sorry for the late response. I believe you are a “bevollmächtigten Person”. As for the second point, are you sure you have to already apply for the Aufenthaltstitel? As far as I’m aware, this should be done after your wife has entered Germany, since she will already possess a visa document from your home country to come here. Normally applying for an Aufenthaltstitel within Germany is for an extension of a current visa (including entry visas).

  5. Hi All,
    thanks for the vital information and help in advance!
    I am working on ICT card for my employer and converting into Blue card from Feb.

    Mein Nuremberg has asked Probelohnabrechnung along with current salary slips as mandatory documents. My employer is not aware about Probelohnabrechnung ,not sure what to do.Do we have any sample Probelohnabrechnung so I can send to my employer.

    Also, I have stopped receiving TAN in sms, already contacted mein nuremberg service desk for the same, but they are also not able to solve this issue.

    I have rest other documents .

    1. Hello Ankur,

      A Probelohnabrechnung is just a sample payslip. In this case it should be enough for you to submit your current salary slips. If you google “Probeabrechnung” it’s basically just a pay slip with the term Probeabrechnung at the top. I once didn’t receive the SMS with the Tan for Mein Nürnberg about a year ago, but it worked again after a few days, so maybe try again later.

  6. Thanks a lot Melissa for your response!
    My Company is not giving these Probelohnabrechnung, so I have resubmitted my application without this document and lets see for there response.
    I started receiving Tan after changing the sim card and network and login to my account.


    1. Hi Ankur,

      I am in the same position you are in. Did the city respond to you yet regarding not submitting a Probelohnabrechnung?


  7. Hi folks,

    I am in a strange situation with Nurnberg Auslanderamt. I have applied for my wife’s Residence permit as it was getting expired through a fiktion bescheinigung valid till 21st dec 2021. I have applied for the extension of residence permit on 29th of september 2021. the application done through Mein Nurnberg portal. the status still shows in Process. Last month i enquired with an email and the reply came saying if the status is in process, they will let me know what to do next. as of today 22nd december 2021, her aufenthalt erlaubnis has ran out of the validity date.

    if we travel to Munich or Frankfurt, will there be an issue? . what should i do ? wait till they get bac or should i ask again?

    1. Hi John,

      Normally travelling within Germany is not a problem, though I wouldn’t advise leaving the country. You should contact the immigration authority so that they can issue a new Fiktionsbescheinigung.

  8. Hi, Please how long it takes for the immigration office in Nürnberg to process application via mein Nürnberg? I applied and submitted all the documents requested by the immigration on the 31.10.2021 and always when i checked the status is in process.

    1. Hi Raz,

      I’m afraid it’s different for everyone so I can’t really say, but the whole process can take several months. I advise you to contact the immigration office if your current visa is expiring very soon.


      1. Hi Melissa,
        Thank you for your quick response, my situation my seems bit complicated, first of all, I arrived in Germany with EC long term residence permits issued from another member state of EU country. I first registered in Berlin and have my work permit and residence card valid for 3 years. My wife move to Nuremberg and she is EU citizen and because of that, I’m apply for family member of EU citizen via Mein Nuremberg. I’ve summited all the require documents via the Nuremberg portal. if something changes on my application will they send email? thank you for your time.

  9. Hi Melissa,
    Thank you for your quick response, my situation my seems bit complicated, first of all, I arrived in Germany with EC long term residence permits issued from another member state of EU country. I first registered in Berlin and have my work permit and residence card valid for 3 years. My wife move to Nuremberg and she is EU citizen and because of that, I’m apply for family member of EU citizen via Mein Nuremberg. I’ve summited all the require documents via the Nuremberg portal. if something changes on my application will they send email? thank you for your time.

    1. I believe you will receive an email or something by post, but keep an eye on it just in case!

  10. Dear All,

    WIsh you a very happy and prosperous new year!

    I have one questiong regarding Blue card application which I applied last year and today I got appointment in Nuremberg for 10 th March.
    My House Rental Contract ended on 31st december and now I am out of Germnay and on vacation till Feb end and Immigration authorities have asked me to provide them with a new House Rental Contract.

    My Blue card contract was supposed to start in Feb and now it seems I will receive Blue card in April

    If I shift to Frankfurt and provide House Rental contract in Frankfurt from March onwards , will that be a problem or any other issue which I might foresee for Jan and Feb ’22 for which I am out of Germany.

    Best Regards,
    Ankur Bansal
    email :

    1. Hi Ankur,

      I’ve never encountered this situation so I’m not sure – you’ll have to contact the immigration office. My guess is that, since you normally apply for visas in the city in which you’re residing, you might have to restart or continue the process in Frankfurt. Like I said – this is just my speculation and you should contact the immigration authority to get the most correct information. Feel free to post what they respond to you here, as it might help others in the future with the same issue 🙂


      1. Hello Melissa,
        I created my mein Nürnberg account few weeks ago, the account was confirmed and I applied for my residence permit because I’m new in Germany, my status shows in processing but I received a message today that my process will be deleted within 30 days and I was asked to check whether I need to save some documents. But when I checked my Nürnberg account there’s no information or any updates, and even the application number stated in the message is different from the application number on mein Nürnberg account. So I’m not sure maybe I created 2 account. I’m confused

        1. Hello Yoyinsola,

          I’m afraid I can’t help you with this one – maybe you did create 2 accounts? Normally nothing should be deleted if it’s in process. You’ll have to contact the immigration authority to double check, though.

  11. Hi Yoyinsola
    please check ‘Mein Operations’, you will find all of your active and completed ones.


    1. Hi Ankur,

      Is been 4 good months since i submitted my application via mein Nürnberg portal and no single reply from the immigration office. Though my application is still in process. I wonder if I will get respon from them. I think mein Nürnberg portal was created to frustrate foreigners. Alot bad review on their website. Grrrrrr

      1. Sorry, just saw your email.
        I think you should have got appointment by now, or call them..

  12. Hallo,
    i have a problem that i am appliying for the residence permit (Inclduing working permit)
    since the process in Nürnber took so long i started already my job and waiting for the residence permit, now the asked me to submit Probelohnabrechnung but since i already started and i got payed i can only submit the paymentslips for the last two months, the problem if i submitted those papers the Ausländerbehörde will know that i already worked without having a working permit, what i shall do in this case? can some one help me

    1. Hello Abd, I am facing this same problem as started working alreday and wil receive RP in last week of April.
      My Employer changed the contract to local after understanding the time duration it takes to get rp.

  13. Hello, You should have wait to get the approval from the immigration office. I understand your situation. depends on your nationality and also the type of the residence card you have from another EU Country. if you have EU long term residence permit from another member state it should not be a big problem give them the income plus In certain circumstances: Form “Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis” (filled out)
    As a rule, a temporary residence permit for the purpose of employment may only be granted if the Federal Employment Agency has agreed to this. I wish best of luck. Raz

  14. Hello , how much time it takes to apply resident permit on new passport after it gets exprired, is it a usual process for getting RP or somewhat faster process.

  15. Hello, I need someone to assist me to interpret on my appointment day at the Nuremberg Immigration office from English to German on the 24.06.22 at 11:00am. I will be submitting my residence permit as a EU family member. if someone is interested to assist me should send me an email on

  16. Hi Melissa,

    I have a current residence permit that wxpires the end of October 22. I have an account on mein nuremberg but I can not figure out how to apply for a renewal. Any help is appreciated!

    1. Hi Amanda,
      If I recall correctly there isn’t a “renewal” option, I think you just need to apply for a new one the same way you did it the first time.

  17. Hi Amanda,

    I have replied recently , just go to that and go for new card, let me know for any further queries

  18. Hi,

    I have mein Nuremberg account registered and filled out the application form. In 2 weeks I received a post from the Visa office to submit a set of documents and I submitted them via post. May I know how long will it take to receive the first appointment? Because my current visa will end soon.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.